Adapted from a Test Kitchen recipe
This cornbread is shown on the right in the photo. It was cooked in a buttered dish, but it would be great cooked in a cast iron skillet too.
4 tsp. bacon drippings (Fry 4 thick slices of bacon and reserve the drippings.)
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup boiling water
3/4 cup buttermilk
Butter for greasing the baking dish.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Butter an 8 inch baking dish.
- Combine boiling water with 1/3 cup cornmeal and mix to form a cornmeal mush.
- In a separate bowl, combine remaining cornmeal (2/3 cup), sugar, baking poweder, salt, and baking soda.
- Whisk buttermilk into the cornmeal mush until smooth.
- Add the egg to the buttermilk mixture and whisk to combine.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Add the bacon drippings to the batter and combine. Do not overmix.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
© 2013 FoodieOasis